Is same-sex marriage good for population control?

My uncle is gay and I told him this but he diasgrees. I told him that its good cause the population on earth continues to grow and same sex marriages prevents it from growing . less people = less pollution. win-win

• rhonda

The world is over populated so if you want to have same sex marriage fine but there are a lot of lesbian same sex marriage where the women get sperm impregnated into them so that they can raise kids 

Gay and lesbian people do often have kids of their own, so there is that exception to your theory. 

Overpopulation is less of a problem than the greedy and systemic overuse of resources.

• Sky

Same-sex marriage has no bearing on population control, because those who are exclusively homosexual or otherwise have no desire to have kids will not have them whether they get married or not.  And likewise, same-sex couples can reproduce through artificial insemination or surrogacy whether they are married or not.  Just because a person is gay doesn't mean they can't or won't reproduce, and just because a person is heterosexual doesn't mean they will.  I'm hetero and I have zero desire whatsoever to ever have kids.

Answer:  No.

Additional detail:    Past studies have found that around 10% of the population is gay.  Some of this group would never have children but some of them will. 

Therefore even if every single gay person was to get married but not have children,  that would put no detectable dent in the population numbers. 

The world population growth rate declined from 2.2% per year 50 years ago to 1.05% per year. (Our World in Data) yet SSM (Same Sex Marriage) has only been with us for say 10 years,  even today SSM is only in some countries so clearly its not SSM but other driving forces that is slowing down the growth.   

SSM is simply about treating people with dignity and respect. 

Its surprising the turn around in numbers of people now days showing respect towards their family and community members plus work mates,  how simply having a same sex couple in the community and being in a TV commercial has seen peoples attitude shift.  I have to say in my country this has been accompanied by TV commercials where families of different race are shown rather than just the traditional tanned skin,  blond hair, blue eyes & 6 foot tall all good looking models. 

No SSM wont be the driving force to slowing population growth. 

Marriage isn't about raising children or making babies. "Love makes a family." 

About every animal species known has gay members. Furthermore, many gay people have children. No matter the time period, race, creed or continent, based on the number of people born, some are lgbt. And the population still got to where it has despite gay people being part of equation since the our species began. So being gay is not good or bad, it’s just a numbers game. You have a kid, they might be a piano virtuoso or a janitor when they grow up - you can’t know for sure. And there is also a 10% chance the kid is gay. Its just math. 

The population in the western world has been shrinking for decades. Overpopulation should not be our concern.

Faulty premise.  I'm a gay man married to another man and we have two children.  One is adopted and one is the result of surrogacy.  

Gay people can, and do, have kids.  Either from previous (hetero) relationships, surrogacy, or adoption.