is it my stereo that's the problem or the cds i play?

i'm not sure but its doing my head in....i have a denon stereo cd player which i bought in 2017 it cost me £500 , i have bought about 60 cds to play in it, cds of old music bands like dexys midnight runners, manfred mann, moody blues, the kinks, the beatles and many more....and the music tracks on the cds don't sound that great, they sound muffled not loud and crystal clear....like whoever remastered them did a poor job....the cds when i play then in the denon stereo don't sound like they originally did when i heard them on vinyl long ago.

and i'm trying to figure out whether there is something wrong with my stereo, whether something has gone faulty with it...or whether the cds themselves are poorly remastered or produced.

can anyone help me out with this at all? because it really is doing my fcking head in, as i enjoy listening to music at night when i go to bed, i like to put a cd on repeat so it plays through the night.

thanks gibbs, its a good idea.

thanks for your advice tony.

• Tony B

Some CDs sound better than others, especially some of the ones that were first produced when none of the engineers had any experience with mastering CDs. 

But, I've never heard of any CD sound muffled, noticeably too quiet or, compared to records, not crystal clear. The usual complaint is that they lack body, depth, warmth and that, if anything, sound too clear and bright - I've heard the term “brittle” used.

There are several possible explanations to your problem: 

The fault could lie with your CD player, amplifier or speakers. There could even be a problem with the cables you use to connect them together. 

You could be listening in a room with exceptionally poor acoustic characteristics - much of the sound, especially the upper frequencies, might be being absorbed by, for example, soft furnishings.

There could be a fault with your hearing. I am in my late sixties and, to me, nothing sounds as good as it did when I was in my twenties or thirties.

It's possible that you have some defective CDs. It's virtually impossible that you could have, by chance, bought sixty of them though. 

It could be that you simply don't like the sound of CDs - they do sound different to records (although they don't normally have the characteristics you describe).

The best thing is to try a selection of your CDs on a decent system that is known to work correctly. Have someone else listen with you to give a second opinion. Obviously if they sound good to you then the fault is with your system.

The way to decide is to play the CD in another player.  If they don't sound right there then it's the CD. If they do it's the player.