Image stabilization definitely helps my photos be clearer on a subject that's not moving doesn't it when I have my telephoto fully zoomed ?

I will switch it off on moving subjects because i know it will cause a huge blur effect and ruin the moment 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • qrk
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Check to see if your  camera or lens has different IS modes. One of the IS modes may be better when panning. Better IS systems can account for panning.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The sole purpose of IS is to reduce the camera's movement during an exposure.  The most common reason for camera movement is the user hand holding the camera. Blur is more common and pronounced with longer focal lengths because as the magnification increases so does the apparent movement of the scene in the viewfinder and from the perspective of the sensor.  Turning the IS on while zoomed into a scene will definitely reduce camera shake and not increase it.

You may notice that your zoomed-in photos are still blurry, but that is due to a shutter speed too slow for even the camera's IS system to remove.  Depending upon the camera, you could have anywhere between 3 and 7 stops of IS.  The rule of thumb for avoiding camera shake (without IS) is to use the inverse of your focal length.  This focal length must first be converted to full-frame or 35mm format equivalent.  For example, if you use a point-and-shoot with a crop factor of 5.6, you need to multiply your focal length by 5.6x, then use the inverse of that as your shutter speed.  If, for example, your focal length is 100 and your camera's crop factor is 1.6, your need to use a minimum shutter speed of 1/60th to avoid camera shake.  Turning on IS means that your shutter speed can be X number of shutter speeds (in full stops) before you start getting camera shake.  If 1/60th is okay, turning on IS with a camera that has 3 stops of IS control means that you can now hand hold the camera 3 stops longer than 1/60th which comes out to be 1/8th of a second.

Let's say your shutter speed needs to be at 1/1,000th of a second to avoid camera shake because your lens is zoomed out.  But your indicated exposure shows that the camera needs to use a one second exposure.  In order to avoid camera shake you would need a camera/lens that has an IS system of reducing camera shake by 10 stops (the difference between 1 sec and 1/1,000th is 10 stops).  No system is capable of doing this.  Your option at this point would be to increase the ISO or use a tripod.  If you need 10 stops of IS and your camera/lens is only capable of 5 stops, you can make up for that by increasing the ISO by 5 stops, but at the expense of more noise.

Many IS systems only work when the camera is being hand held.  Most will actually fail and cause more blur if the camera is steady as when mounted on a tripod.  Many advanced cameras and lenses have an IS setting for when the camera is not being hand held.  So either turn the IS system to a tripod setting or off when not hand holding the camera.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.