Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Is getting told NO to marriage that bad... to the point of making you cry?

My older brother moved on, dated others and eventually found someone else. However, it took him longer to ask his then 4th girlfriend (now wife) the question. This time it was a yes. They now have 3 kids.

When he got rejected:

Long ago, he was only 20 years old when he asked his HS sweetheart the question. They had been together for 4 years. She declined his marriage proposal and it hurt him so much that he started crying. That's one of the rare time I've seen tears in him and he's an assertive, strong, tough guy. Seriously, is it that bad to make you cry?

I was just answering because it was such a surprised to me that he broke in tears like that. I've never seen my brother literally that heartbroken before.

• ?

When you're just 20 being told no is the best thing that could ever happen to you. Had he married that first girlfriend they'd be divorced already. 

I have NO idea why this question is so involved.  He proposed marriage.  His girlfriend of 4 years said "no."  It was a long time and YOU are fixated on it.

I have NO idea why this is your concern.

Yes, seriously, it apparently was bad enough to make him cry.

Gosh yes, of course being turned down by your girlfriend of 4 years is enough to make you cry. Presumably your brother is a human being and not a robot.

• Embery

Cry? Are you sure he's not a fruit and just with women "Because you're supposed to?"