Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is 50 too old to go back to college?

Perfectlybaked, im looking into something thats not physical. 

Yes it is go into a certificate instead 

You're never too old to go to college. 

If you're looking for a return on investment (increased earnings versus the amount you pay on tuition, fees, books, etc.), however, then the older you are, the less likely you'll be to recoup your losses. 

But if you're not in it for the money, then go ahead. 

While you do lose some kinds of mental ability as you age (e.g. the ability to memorize), you gain mental ability in other areas (e.g. the ability to make associations). So it all works out, and you'll be on equal intellectual footing as your younger classmates. Plus, you'll (probably) be more mature and focused than most late teens. 

You are NEVER too old to go back to college and learn. I am 56 and went to college at the age of 47, just because the opportunity presented itself, and I NEEDED to exercise my brain. I will always learn as much as I can until the day I die, and typically have an online college course on the go several times a year.

• John

For purposes of education, one is never too old.  

If someone is going back to embark on a new career, however, age can be a factor in the job market.  

If you think you can stick with it and get that degree - and have the accommodations for it at that age - why not?