Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

What was H.P Lovecraft's views on Hitler?

I'm curious as how to interpret H.P Lovecraft's views on Hitler. I read a letter he wrote in 1933 where it seems like he shows some praise for Hitler, although he does call him a "lesser evil" and ignorant. He seemingly wasn't talking about anything racist, just that Hitler was going to save Germany as opposed to others. I'm no history buff, but I do know WW2 started in 1939, so obviously the Holocaust hadn't happened yet.

So what can we interpret from Lovecraft's praise for Hitler, or what he really meant. On that note, was Lovecraft racist himself? If so, what are some examples of it?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

You must remember that prior to WWII Hitler had considerable support in the US. The German American Bund had well over 25000 members and many prominent Americans, such as Charles Lindbergh, supported or praised Hitler to one extent or another. In 1938 Time magazine named Hitler Man of the Year.

As far was Lovecraft,his racial attitudes were common in the society of his day, especially in the New England in which he grew up. But for the most part he was more a culturalist than a racist.  Lovecraft's views are expressed in many disparaging remarks against the various non-Anglo-Saxon races and cultures in his work. As he grew older, his original Anglo-Saxon racial worldview softened into a classism or elitism which regarded the superior race to include all those self-ennobled through high culture. From the start, Lovecraft did not hold all white people in uniform high regard, but rather esteemed the English people and those of English descent. He praised non-WASP groups such as Hispanics and Jews; however, his private writings on groups such as black people, Irish Catholics and German immigrants were consistently negative.In an early poem, the 1912 "On the Creation of Ni**ers", Lovecraft describes black people not as human but as "beast[s] ... in semi-human figure, filled with vice." In his early published essays, private letters and personal utterances, he argued for a strong color line to preserve race and culture. He made these arguments by direct disparagement of various races in his journalism and letters, and perhaps allegorically in his fiction concerning non-human races.Lovecraft showed sympathy to those who adopted Western culture, even to the extent of marrying a Jewish woman whom he viewed as "well assimilated." By the 1930s, Lovecraft's views on ethnicity had shifted to support for cultural integrity; he supported the preservation of a nation's culture for its own sake.

• 2 months ago

Taking racism away from Lovecraft is just to decontextualize him. Can you read a Mishima Yukio novel without understanding that he was a Japanese ultranationlist? Mishima made it pretty damn clear he was Japanese ultrantionalist and his books should be read in that context. Similarly Lovecraft made no secret of his views. 

Yes, Lovecraft was really really racist. That doesn't mean you should not read his books. Hemingway actually had to have an intervention when the US Army had to relieve him of his German prisoner. People still read Hemingway to this day, even though it is obvious that Hemingway himself was a wanker. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

By 1933 anyone who was interested could have read about Hitler and his policies notably on communism, but also ethnic purity. Although the Holocaust had not started Dachau opened in 1933, mainly for political prisoners.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't see how his views might be relevant to his writing. This forum is geared toward the discussion of books and authors, not gossip. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.