East
East asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How rude is it to tell someone that s/he can’t afford something?

I bought a new home, which was a big step up from my prior home.  I had no problem affording it, though: the bank offered a much larger mortgage than I needed.  I took out only the mortgage that I needed and will have repaid it all in 18 months.

My parents saw the price I paid (through a real estate website) and told me that I couldn’t afford a home that expensive.

Well, not only could I afford it, but I also just got a big work promotion, so my pay is doubling.  So I could have bought a much larger new home and still could have afforded it.

How offensive is it to tell someone that s/he can’t afford something?

When it's your parents it isn't rude.  They are just looking out for you......in your case, unnecessarily.  They obviously don't know your great financial position.  You just smile sweetly and do your own thing and after 18 months you can tell them you are all paid up on this great property.  If it's someone else (friend/relation/nosy parker) then YES, it is very rude.  However, it's how you deal with it that matters.  You can brush it off and ignore it or you can have an argument or you can be equally rude and just tell them to mind their own business.  Or you can turn the tables and just ask them 'How come you know so much about my financial situation?'  You don't have to defend yourself or tell them all the ins and outs of your personal life.  The simple question is more than enough.

Well you're the one who is offended, why are you even asking? How are strangers supposed to know how offended you are?

very rude, it is none of their business.

First of all, congratulations with your new home.

As for your parents: yes, it's rude. My parents are the same. Very annoying. Also, because they are indirectly questioning not only your income, but also your ability to handle your own finances and make important decisions.

I think it’s rude