Dalia asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Am I being dramatic? ?

My fiancé and I went to his families house for thanksgiving. Yesterday we were watching a movie about robots, and my fiancé jokingly said that I was a robot and that I wasn’t real, and his very rude grandmother said “is that why she can’t have kids?” jokingly, but I took it as very offensive because I have been struggling with fertility issues and this was hurtful, I went upstairs to cry, but my fiancé told me that she was just joking. Mind you she’s ALWAYS telling me things like, “No baby yet?” “You should really go to a fertility specialist” 

I’m just so sick of it and I want to tell her off, but I’m not that kind of person. Am I being dramatic? 

Btw she knows about my fertility issues

i dont think so

• T J

She has no idea of your problems, so why take this more than joking?  BTW, get married before you get pregnant.

No you aren't being dramatic but you are blaming granny for saying something which she didn't mean to be hurtful.  She's looking for babies and (In my opinion, wrongly) trying to put jokey pressure on the pair of you to 'produce'.  Couples should have babies for themselves.....NOT for other people be they grandmothers or mothers etc.  I would take granny aside and tell her straight - not angrily but calmly and privately that what she said to you was VERY hurtful because you ARE having fertility problems and you'd be happier if she didn't mention babies and you and her grandson's inability to have them.  Tell her you HAVE been to a fertility specialist and you are doing your best but 'other people' making jokey comments doesn't actually help the situation.  She'll probably feel mortified.....but serve her right.  These 'adults' pushing kids to have children for THEIR benefit are unkind without actually knowing it.  Just tell her.  Or if you can't do it - get your boyfriend to tell her just how upset you were at her nasty comment.  If you say nothing she's going to carry on doing it because she can't help herself.

He's your fiancé , not your husband.

Why don't you create some stability before you create a baby.

It takes less than $100 to get married at your local court house.

I'd say fictional was a more appropriate word than dramatic.