Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

What would you do if you had to cuff someone who has a skin condition which causes allergic reactions on the top of wrists to mid forearm?

I have eczema/contact dermatitis from the top of my wrists to mid foreram. I am highly allergic to metals like nikel/copper etc. Infact I am allergic to almost every thing and I cant even wear bracelets, watches etc. I am constantly doing wet/wrap therapy to soothe my wrists and help them heal but there is no cure. This thought struck me the other day as random as it is and I never want to be arrested lol but I was wondering what would be done in a situation like this? My wrists would not be able to handle the metal cuffs and my skin would freak. I would immediately have to start itching like crazy and my skin would welt up. You can clearly see the cuts/scabs and injury on my wrists from previous flare up itching sessions ive had. Would the cop listen to me if I asked for them to at least wrap my wrists with gauze/cotton or something before they placed the cuffs?  What would be done in this situation? 

Hey genius, I am not worried about getting arrested. It was a hypothetical situation and was wondering what would be done. I am sure other people arrested have had a situation like this. It wouldnt be too much to ask for them to pop up their first aid kit and wrap the wrists now would it? But seems like you cops love the power trio and to hurt people. 

• Bruce

I'm not aware of any laws or policies that would cover such a rare situation, so it would be the officers discretion. Like many officers, I carry plastic flex cuffs. 

The Police don't carry around gauze/cotton "or something" with which to wrap the wrists of people being arrested.

You could carry around a letter from your Physician, but I doubt anyone would read it.

I guess you'll have to spend less time worrying about being arrested and more time actually not getting arrested.

Take them and let the EMT's handle it.