Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Medicare questions?

Hello, I would like to know if a person already has health insurance through their employers and medicare from Social Security , is it ok to not to take medicare. Because right now my parents have to pay for medicare about $147 and my father has health insurance from his work ( he retired in July 2020) but he end up keeping the Insurance from his employer. So his work health insurance is about 240 per person so both him and my mother is around 480 and with all of it they paid about 774. So they are not paying out of pocket. for medicare they just cut it off the social security benefit and same thing with his employer Insurance. Is there a way to only take one of the Insurance , like the Medicare for example , can they not take it, the system automatically enrolled them in. Even though they are not paying out of pocket it would be nice to have extra money left after each month rather than most of it going toward the Insurance.

thank you 😊 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    No its not OK

    First, almost 100% of employer provided health insurance becomes 2nd payer the day you turn 65 which means  you would have to pay the 80% Medicare would cover out of pocket

    Second,  if you delay in signing up for Medicare your premiums will be much higher when you finally do sign up

  • L
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    Medicare pays up to 80%...............so, they can use their employer health insurance for the other 20%.  

  • 2 months ago

    Medicare is a tax, not an insurance benefit in the essence of which you are relating it to. IF your dad doesn't want to pay medicare tax, he can either a.) quit working, or b.) leave the united states.

  • 2 months ago

    They only need to be enrolled in Medicare Part A, which does not cost you anything after retiring and is not taken out of the social security benefit (it is funded with a tax that is taken out of your paychecks when you are still working).

    What is being taken out of the social security benefit each month is Medicare Part B.  You do not need to be enrolled in Medicare Part B if your employer coverage meets your needs.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You've asked pretty much the same question twice.  Please see your other question for my full answer.

    Some people are eligible for what is called Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) through your county welfare office.  If eligible the state pays the Medicare premiums, deductibles and copays in which case your parents would not need to get a secondary insurance to cover what isn't covered by Medicare.  Eligibility is based upon income so your father would have to provide proof of his income and his wife's.

    I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

  • 2 months ago

    MANY insurance companies require Medicare to be billed first.    They will pay the copays and deductibles but they rely on Medicare to be the primary payer.    They need to check their insurance policy.   It may be better to drop it and get a Medicare Supplement policy.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.