Extra attic insulation worth it?

I live in New England and bought a house built in the 60s.  It has R24 in the attic, between boards.  Would it be worth adding a layer of batt over it?  I was thinking R30 ontop.  Not sure if there will be a difference in heat retention or if it will be negligible?

I am in NH with a home built in the 40's.  I reinsulated my attic with R24 about 5-7 years ago and had an energy audit done by the state in March,  they added another layer of R30 over it,  has made a big difference,  After a while the old insulation compresses and degrades.   Look to see if your state has an energy program, you might get an audit and have some of the cost to insulate paid for by them.  I got the insulation done and they sealed every place in the basement where a pipe or wire went up through the floor to keep cold air out of the upper part of the house, I can tell the difference already

• Barry

It's always worth adding to attic insulation as the majority of heat is lost through the roof.