Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Have you or someone you had a Covid-19 test in the last month?

I have to get one this weekend because my work is making us do it. Do they still do the test where they put that swab up your nose or have they changed it to a saliva test like I’ve seen in a few videos? Answers?

Someone you know. Typo at the top.

It depends on how serious you are about the test. The nasal and nasopharyngeal swab test have about the same reliability and so it is up to the person taking the sample as to what they prefer when the test is ordered by the doctor or protocols set up by the doctor supervising the collection practices as to what is preferable. All you have to do is ask. 

The saliva test are not as accurate but are easier to do. The Infectious Disease Society of America comprised of infectious disease specialists recommend

"IDSA recommends collection from the nasopharynx or mid-turbinate site over oropharynx or saliva alone."

"Overall, in this prospective study, saliva testing with a SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR was less sensitive than nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swab testing."

https://www.idsociety.org/covid-19-real-time-learn...