Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

I got a 1250 on SAT and sent my score to Boston University (their average SAT is 1400-1500)?

For background, I have a 4.0 and am in many extracurriculars and believe that I'm a very well rounded student. 

But, looking back, I wish I didn't send my 1250 since they are now test optional. Do you think I have any chance of getting in though?

It would appear from the discrepancy between your grades & your test scores that BU is not the school for you whether you submit SAT scores or not! You're really not equipped to deal with that level of competition. Furthermore, university admissions committees are generally familiar with most states' education requirements & school standards, as well as individual schools' reputations for watered-down content or over-grading/lax standards. 

Higher ed is pretty desperate for enrollment right now so chances are better this year than most. If you don't need financial aid, you have an even better chance.  If the last slot they have to fill is between you and someone with equal qualifications that doesn't need aid, the other person will get that slot. It's a red flag that you have a 4.0 but only got a 1,250. It might be too late, but maybe try taking the SAT again in December and wait to see your score and then resubmit your new score if it comes back better.

• ?

If the average score of people admitted is 1400-1500, that means that there were a lot of people with lower SATs who were admitted. Admissions is a holistic process. It might depend, for example, on the reputation of your high school. I know students from some high schools are heavily recruited by universities because the high school has a good reputation for preparing students for university work. 

Depends on so many factors including how many students with better scores apply and how much, if any, weight the admissions staff puts on SAT scores now.

The hard part is that a student with a perfect 4.0 unweighted GPA should do better on the SAT than 1250. That could lead to the conclusion that your high school grades easily.  At the same time, if BU has decided to disregard SAT/ACT scores, your GPA will certainly shine through.