Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Gap year in Russia? ?

I taught myself to speak russian and once covid is more controlled maybe next year I was thinking to move there for a year and just work in a bar or something to experience life in a different country. The problem is I was looking at the visa process and it all seems to be for high profile jobs - how difficult would it be just to temporarily live and work there? Is that even possible? I live in the UK. Thanks in advance :)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Russia does not have Working Holiday Visas for young people. No temporary employment visas for lower-end occupations. It is difficult for employers to obtain employment visas for their highly qualified foreign workers with exceptional education & experience in occupations which are in short supply, or certain specializations, such as accredited foreign correspondents temporarily assigned to their Moscow bureau! You cannot work there! 

IF you are a student accepted by a university or accredited language school in Russia, you must prove you have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to your country of citizenship to apply for student visa. You will not be working there. If you want to work on your Russian language skills, suggest you investigate language schools, but you will need plenty of money!

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yeah, that would be a problem. Turns out that person in Russia who taught himself to speak English in the hopes of being  bar back in London for a year is equally as unqualified to fulfill his dreams. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There are no working holiday visas for British citizens in Russia, so unless you want to get a tourist visa to visit, you will not be living/working in Russia

• 2 months ago

No, it's not possible - there are no work visas for temporary jobs like bar work. The only way you can go currently is as a tourist, for a much shorter period of time.

If you want a work abroad option, unfortunately your options are now limited as the UK's leaving the EU; but you could still look at Canada, Australia and New Zealand, where there are reciprocal youth mobility visas.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not possible. Russia is a poor country, no one will employ someone from abroad when there are no jobs for locals.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.