Anyone ever rented an apartment on Craigslist?

In my search for a new place to live, I remembered a co-worker told me that I can use Craigslist to search for an apartment. Though I'll admit, I'm kind of intimidated using Cragislist to find a place. Well, technically, I'm just really shy in general so I would have issues just cold calling anyone. It would help me if anyone could provide their experience on using Craigslist when searching for an apartment. I heard there were scams too but I think I can weed those out. I just need to hear the experience of those who have rented successfully from Craigslist.

I live in Los Angeles in case you want to know where I've been searching.

There are a lot of scams on CL but also a lot of legit places too. As a proeprty manager  I listed plenty of apartments for rent on CL. Best to stay away from the ones listed by an individual & not a company. Many of those are scams or subleases. 

• ?

No and i personally never would.

If you don't like using all available resources to you to find housing then don't. It's that simple.

• John

I would strongly advise you avoid Craigslist for property rentals.  Several years ago I was looking for a rental home. I looked into a few places advertised on Craigslist, and they were all scams. Craigslist rental listings are simply a cesspool of fraud.   

Don't waste your time.  There are to many scams and you wont be able to weed them all out. 

I have never rented using them but I used to advertise places with them.  However, its gotten so ridiculously scammy that I just gave up. It got to the point where about half the calls were "renters" who wanted to send me 3 times the deposit on condition that I returned the difference (of course their check would never cash and mine would). 

I've also had other people list my sales on craiglist as rentals. They would pretend to be the owner, collect a deposit from unsuspecting renters (the renters would never even get in the place to see it) and then the renters would come yell at me to get their money back (easily fixed by putting a sign in front of every house, but then they'd steal my signs).