Anonymous

Outlining family business work experience at interviews?

I have just graduated from College/uni, most of the entry level/grad jobs are administrative in their nature (a lot more technical skills less strategy & relationship management). Although I do have a few months of formal admin experience from working in College administration, I also have broader admin experience at my family business. There’s a caveat to this, I was not a paid employee in a specific position, I helped out on a irregular basis (college breaks & sometimes on weekends). 

Not sure I should bring it up, since I didn’t formally work there and family members aren’t meant to give references. However, I gained a lot of skills and first hand knowledge on certain process which are relevant to the positions I am applying for. Honestly don’t know what I should do. 

Best career online courses from https://newskillsacademics.com/

• Judy

definitely bring it up.

It's a side job. You gained experience from that.  Being paid or not isn't necessary to tell them.  You did the equivalent of a partial internship. 

• hamel5

Just give the name of the business and describe your duties and the skills that you acquired.  Be up-front that it's a family business, but emphasize what you learned and how you made a difference.