Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

English teacher is making me uncomfortable?

I’m white, this year we were reading Mice of Men which has the N word written multiple times. As a white person I am not comfortable at all using that word, I have told my teacher but she told me that I will lose marks if I don’t read the sentences properly. I have black classmates and it just feels incredibly disrespectful. Are teachers allowed to force students into saying things like that? It doesn’t sit right with me at all 

Exactly, and times are different now so why should I lose points for not wanting to use a racial slur as a white person especially when I have black classmates, it’s wrong 

I’m not sure why you think this would be a cry for attention? What attention would I be getting from this other than advice of what to do? I’m sorry that you feel that my genuine question is a ‘cry for attention’ but I’m not about to try and convince you differently. Not every question is an troll question. I just wanted genuine help and advice. 

Tell your teacher you refuse to read racial slurs and that you don't care if it does give you bad marks. Tell her you want that in writing with her signature (have it ready for a legal team.) And record the conversation. If she's really going to lower your grade over this go to the principal. If the principal doesn't care you're going to the board of directors because you shouldn't be force to use that type of language. Make a statement and stand up for what you believe in.

If the principal and board of directors don't back you. Go to the media. Report it to your local news then see if you can sue them. If it makes it to the media you can do a kickstarter to pay for the legal fees. Plenty of people will support you if your school doesn't. They need to be made an example of if they force you to use that language and against your will. 

So tell me, what do your black classmates do when it's their turn to read? You are not telling us the full story, that's for sure.

EDIT TO ADD:Still waiting to hear what your black classmates say and do.

You could give a disclaimer before the reading like when TV stations say this report may offend some of our listeners.  

That is totally messed up. I'm shocked a teacher would think that's acceptable. If you brought it up to her and she said you still have to read it you can do 3 of the following things:

1) Substitute the word when reading with another word or just say beep

2) Bring this up with the principal/guidance counsellor and tell them you're uncomfortable and need advice

3) When she asks you to read, let your classmates know you feel uncomfortable reading the word that comes up out of respect and ask them if they are okay with you reading it for class purposes only.

• ?

Then report the teacher 

We had to read Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck as well, but our teacher did not demand we say the word, only just read it and understand the reasons for why the word was 'acceptable' during the time period the book was set in. Although the book is meant to be read without altering any of the words or grammar, I really don't think she has the right to force you to say the word out loud if it is against your morals, and would be showing disrespect to the other people in your class. Hold your ground, and if need be talk to the administration and your parents about this. 

• ?

I think the book is actually "Of Mice and Men".

personally, i'd probably just skip that word, or substitute for it ... and let teacher be hanged in the resulting backlash of Black parents objecting to the book because it is inherently racist.  i might even go so far as to suggest to some of the Black parents that they object to use of this book at all.  there are plenty of other fine examples of American literature besides Steinbeck.

I don't know why so many of the questions posted to this section are posted by people concocting ridiculous lies. I suppose it's one way to get attention. As a teacher myself, I really find it difficult to believe that anybody reading this might somehow be inclined to think you're being truthful. In what universe would a teacher demand that a student not only read what is arguably the most loathsome racist term of all time, but to go a step further and demand that the student enunciate the word properly? And you expect us to believe that this exchange is happening in a classroom where black and white students are sitting side by side? Any teacher stupid enough to put pressure on a student who protested the use of the word and refused to utter it would be facing disciplinary action and the potential public backlash would not only destroy the teacher's career but would likely reverberate throughout the entire school district. Young people are ignorant of the way the world works. That's why you kids think people will buy into this type of nonsense. Nobody who's got more than 8 brain cells would give this any credence whatsoever. I'll tell you what - if you're telling the truth, have your parents contact your local newspaper and have the media take it up with your teacher and the principal. Update this question to let us know how that went. If you don't, we'll just assume that this was simply an ill thought out cry for attention. 

• Tavy

Get over yourself. This book is read in schools here in the UK. Times were different when it was written, we understand that, so stop trying to be different.

Update. Are the black students complaining ?