Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why is underage sex illegal?

By underage sex I'm talking about 2 partners under the age of consent. It really does make it kinda seem like the age of consent is really the government telling you when you're old enough to have sex. I'm not trying to be weird I know this is actually a thing where you can pretty much be a sex offender if you have sex while underage.

It is actually illegal. Most US states and my state age of consent is 16. I do get that obviously it's not really going to be prosecuted so that's why some people wouldn't understand. It doesn't seem like something you would be prosecuted for since it is private and really I think most people understand like if their around the same age it would be like having sex with someone your own age.

It’s not illegal in my state. In my state, the age of consent is 18, but it’s legal for two minors under the age of consent to have sex if they’re both 15-17 years old.

For the person who said minors cannot consent, that is not entirely true. Not one state in the US sets the AOC at 21. It's 16-18, with 16 being the most common by far.

It's illegal because under that age you are assumed to not have the maturity to consent to sex. And yet, you can legally sleep with an adult YEARS before you are considered an adult able to buy a beer! That's what should piss you off. 

In most parts of the developed world two minors can legally have sex with each other. "Underage" only refers to be not legal to have sex with adults. 

In my state, the age of consent is eighteen.  There's no "Romeo and Juliet" exemption.

It's not illegal for two 12 yr olds to have sex.

The laws define more when a person can consent to having sex with someone older than themselves.

The point of the laws is to protect younger kids/teens from being exploited or coerced by someone older.

• Pete

It's not illegal in my country. The age of consent is 16, but it's not illegal for two 14 or 15 year old's to have sex. Obviously it's not approved of but it's not a chargeable offence. I said nothing about US state laws. In my country it's not illegal and I don't live in the USA.

• Maxi

The age of consent, means legally being old enough to know the consequences and implications of having sex and potential STDS having the legal potential and emotional/physical mentality to take on the rights and responsibilities of pregnancy, parenthood and providing for that child.....and protect children from playing adult games when they simply don't have any capacity to fully understand them

Public concern, remembering their youth,  

Religious Zealots, (crack pots)

Power Hungry politicians.

Purely an arbitrary decision, heated over time. 

The Popes' (G*D's Representatives on Earth) had no problem with the marriages of 

[*] Joan of France, Duchess of Berry, (age 12) 

[*] Anne de Mowbray, 8th Countess of Norfolk (age 6) 

[*] 1396, Richard II of England was joined in marriage to young Isabel of France, 7 years old 

[*] Bianca of Savoy, Duchess of Milan was married aged 13 

[*] Agnes of France was 12 when, widowed 

[*] St Elizabeth of Portugal was aged 12 

[*] Lucrezia Borgia was married to her first husband aged 13

Unable to understand consequences of actions.

Sex makes babies.

Minors cannot legally give consent. That's why they call it age of consent.

• !

Its not just the government. Society as a whole accepts that there is an age below which one should not be sexually active, and the law is often based on pre existing cultural or social norms