Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Something in the house does this weird whistle sound?

I only started to hear it recently

It’s like those old kettles that whistle but it’s only one single whistle 

And it only happens every few hours  

I thought it was the furnace but I turned it off and still heard the whistle after

Not sure where this sound is coming from

How can I figure it out?

• Rita

What is the whistling sound in my house?

A whistling sound is not a happy ghost; it's a very unhappy furnace or air conditioning filter. When the filter is dirty and inhibiting airflow, the system still has to get air, so it sucks what it can from around the filter.

LONGSHOT ! ... if your hot water tank is malfunctioning (and thus creating some steam) maybe you are hearing steam and hot water escaping through the overflow/pressure relief valve (which could be worn out and be the problem).

Its the wind.  My guess would be coming down the chimney. 

Could be a smoke alarm about to die.

It's the wind blowing through an opening somewhere.  A common source is a window air conditioner.  Something in an air conditioner is just right to make a whistle sound when the wind is out of a certain direction, certain velocity, etc.   It could be an air vent duct to the out side.  Like a clothes dryer vent,