Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

What's the best way to get a reluctant teenager into a formal outfit?

Unfortunately it´s quite hard to get my son into nice clothes.

For Christmas, however, we are invited to my future in-laws, who will be dressed quite formally, so he won't be able to avoid shirt and tie that day.

I don't want to force him if possible, that would be the last resort.

I don't know what state you're in, but traveling to and meeting people outside your household over the holiday is NOT A SMART IDEA, especially not NOW, with the pandemic continuing to rage out of control. It seems to me that you have your priorities more than a little screwed UP. Your first focus should be on your family's SAFETY, not on how they are dressed, because the odds are against your even going to meet with your in laws ANYWAY due to the pandemic. I am quite sure that you would rather not be the cause of a super spreader event- but that could easily happen if you travel out of state or go have dinner indoors with people you aren't related to and ordinarily would never spend time with. If they are elderly, the risk to them is even GREATER.

Just yesterday alone, there were over 4,000 DEATHS from COVID-19 nationwide. That works out to about 25 to 30 people PER MINUTE, pal. And while your family may not have been affected yet, it's just a matter of time before someone will be, especially if you do something this stupid and risky with your health and your kids' health.

• L

YOU are the Parent - ACT LIKE IT!  Just tell him what he is going to wear and that's it.

As a father of two teenaged boys, I can tell you from personal experience that the tie will only last but so long. I think he can get away with no tie and even, as another poster said, polo and khakis. I'd rather relax my expectations than have to hear how stupid the tie is all day. 

• edward

Ah.  You’re going to a palace.  I didn’t realize that your future mother in law was the queen.  He doesn’t have to go suit and tie that day.  A button down should suffice.  Unless you’re all going to a restaurant with a dress code.  I’ve always had a passion for clothes so getting me to dress up was no issue.  Even my son knows if he gets dressed up it means we’re going out, he gets excited to see people

good news, christmas is cancelled because of covid, OBVIOUSLY, so your son won't have to deal with dressing up to impress people who don't matter. 

Maybe instead of "shirt and tie", you can relax it to "khakis and polo"..  Its still a nice outfit, especially for a teenager.

• Jill

My son hates dressing up too. Explain to him that there will be times in his life when casual clothes just won't cut it and this is one of them. Let him choose the clothes though.  

Tell him its time for him to do you a favor. If everyone else is dressing nice for this event, then he can't sit there in jeans and a T-Shirt.

If hes still stubborn then just force him. He will be grumpy for a few days, but spending a few hours in nice clothes wont kill him.

• ?

Suit and tie is a little much for someone. I've tried to eat wearing a tie. It's not fun.

Might want to try to compromise and opt for slacks and a nice collared polo shirt. It's a step up from his normal while not being the monkey suit. 

Also...consider a casual suit of slacks, a buttoned shirt and a sport coat. Looks quite striking, doesn't involve a tie.

Offer him three choices. The full suit and tie, the casual suit or the slacks and polo. Given those choices he's likely to choose the lesser of his perceived evils. 

Just tell him: dress smartly or you stay at home and cook your own Christmas dinner.