Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is the drop out rate higher for high school students or college students?

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Definitely college. So many people dropout like flies in the beginning. The thing is many people view college as optional not to mention you have to pay for college yourself. Lots of people can't afford that and ultimately decide it's not worth going through with it. High school is viewed as a requirement forced upon you by the government but at least they don't make you pay for it out the wazoo to the point where you can't even afford to survive anymore.

  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    College.  High school dropout rates have dramatically decreased over the years; there is a lot of effort put into helping kids finish their high school degrees.  College students don't receive quite as much hand-holding, and a college degree is not considered as essential as having a high school degree.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    I don't have the statistics on hand but the drop out rate is logically higher for college students than high school students since public education is mandatory and college is optional (despite what recruiters would have you believe).

  • 2 months ago

    Much higher for colleges. Although it is a little difficult to determine as many students don't drop out of college the same way they would drop out of high school. But essentially, students that graduate within 6 years of starting college is about 60%. Whereas HS graduation rate in the US is about 88%. The other 12% includes drop outs and failures (students who didn't technically drop out, but never passed enough courses to graduate)

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    It depends. Dropout rates are higher at community colleges but lower at quality universities.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.