Why is my iPhone not alerting me when I get a text message ?

My girlfriend is experiencing the same problem on her iPhone 11. I have the iPhone XS. Seems like the update did this. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Go into settings and make sure do not disturb was not turned on.

No issues here, but then again I always wait a few months to do any updates.  Let the bugs get worked out first.

Go to Settings, then Sounds & Haptics.  Almost at the bottom you should find a slider just under "Ringer and Alerts".  Make sure it hasn't slid itself all the way to the left.  IPhones do that sometimes, particularly if they've been connected and disconnected from Bluetooth headphones and other devices.

If it's to the left, just slide it to the right and that'll fix it till the next time.  You should also de-select "Change with Buttons" while you're there, just to make sure you're not accidentally turning your alerts down yourself, by bumping the buttons.

Other than that suggestion, I dunno what to tell ya.