Is it smarter to buy laptop parts to apply yourself than to buy them pre-installed?

I'm looking to upgrade to a Macbook Pro Late 2013 on Gainsaver, but I've found that adding the specs that I want to change (128 GB SSD to 750 GB SSD, 4 GB ram to 8GB/16 GB ram, new battery) adds ~$400 to the overall price. Instead of buying it with these options, I'm thinking about just buying the laptop at its cheapest on GainSaver, then changing the parts that I want to be changed with parts bought elsewhere.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

The RAM in the 2013 model is soldered in. You CANNOT upgrade it. The SSD is proprietary, so you will have a hard time finding a third-party one that will fit. A 2013 MacBook Pro isn't worth $400 even maxed out, let alone worth that much more over the base configuration.

• 2 months ago

NO!  the parts have to a) fit exactly, and b) fit within the total thermal profile of the laptop, AND be compatible with the laptop's motherboard.  Modifying a laptop like this is generally NOT a good idea, even if you can increase the cfm of the fan somehow.

• Eva
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Voids your warranty;

• 2 months ago

I wouldn't get a MacBook that old.  Apple has moved away from using Intel CPUs, therefore support for the Intel based MacBooks will fade out soon.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.