Is it smarter to buy laptop parts to apply yourself than to buy them pre-installed?

I'm looking to upgrade to a Macbook Pro Late 2013 on Gainsaver, but I've found that adding the specs that I want to change (128 GB SSD to 750 GB SSD, 4 GB ram to 8GB/16 GB ram, new battery) adds ~$400 to the overall price. Instead of buying it with these options, I'm thinking about just buying the laptop at its cheapest on GainSaver, then changing the parts that I want to be changed with parts bought elsewhere.

The RAM in the 2013 model is soldered in. You CANNOT upgrade it. The SSD is proprietary, so you will have a hard time finding a third-party one that will fit. A 2013 MacBook Pro isn't worth $400 even maxed out, let alone worth that much more over the base configuration.

NO!  the parts have to a) fit exactly, and b) fit within the total thermal profile of the laptop, AND be compatible with the laptop's motherboard.  Modifying a laptop like this is generally NOT a good idea, even if you can increase the cfm of the fan somehow.

• Eva

Voids your warranty;

I wouldn't get a MacBook that old.  Apple has moved away from using Intel CPUs, therefore support for the Intel based MacBooks will fade out soon.