does a civil engineer need to pass fe exam?

From what I understand the fe is only needed if you plan on getting pe license. I plan on working in project engineer/construction manager and I don't think they need pe license because they don't sign plans/designs they just implement it. Can someone who is an engineer or in the construction field please clarify?

For the record, it is very very likely that I will get my fe anyways because I didn't cheat and I should show to employers. But from a pragmatic standpoint is my reasoning correct? Even if I do get fe, is pe needed for my line of work?

It's a plus if you can get your PE license, even in the construction field.  If you don't have the license sooner or later it will be held against you. I worked as a construction engineer and did get my PE license.  The FE (EIT) exam is harder than the PE exam.

Take the FE exam in your senior year in college & study to pass it.  Your PE license will be taken 4 years later.

The FE exam is just the first step to getting a PE. You cannot call yourself a Civil Engineer until you complete the PE exam process.

• Adam D

Most companies working in civil fields are going to want their managers to have a license. 

Because of the increase in law suits and regulations more and more companies are looking for engineers with a PE license. For that reason you should get one because it makes you more employable at more jobs. 

When I took it in the 1980's dimensional analysis was crucial. There were many questions requiring conversions.

• Jim

The Fundamentals of Engineering Exam is a 6-hour, 110-question test that covers a wide range of topics related to civil engineering. ... The test itself isn't hard. Passing the FE doesn't mean you're an expert engineer, it just proves to employers that you didn't cheat your way through college