Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

ASap The endosymbiotic theory hypothesizes that mitochondria resulted from aerobic ?

heterotrophic prokaryotes that were engulfed and formed a symbiotic relationship with primitive eukaryotic cells. heterotrophic prokaryotes that were engulfed and formed a symbiotic relationship with primitive eukaryotic cells. 

Several similarities exist between extant bacteria and mitochondria. For example, they are approximately the same size, reproduce by binary fission, have circular DNA, and can perform transcription and translation. Mitochondrial inner membranes also have enzymes and transport systems similar to bacterial membrane systems such as the electron transport system (ETS). The ETS consists of protein complexes that transfer hydrogen atoms and electrons from NADH through the electron transport chain eventually reducing oxygen and forming water. These events create both a pH gradient and electrical potential across the membrane. Protons move down the pH gradient resulting in the synthesis of ATP. Based on this information, and from an evolutionary perspective, the prokaryotic cells that were engulfed were able to perform which of the following functions that the eukaryotic cell was unable to perform?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of the choices listed, I picked "Krebs cycle." 

I have a feeling of deja vu.  Didn't I already answer this question?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.