Is it true that English is one of the hardest languages to learn?

I have heard this before.  Is that true?

• Zirp

For a lot of people, it certainly isn't the easiest (Esperanto is). English is teeming with synonyms, homonyms, homographs, homophones.... and has spelling contests for *native* speakers.

Losing most grammatical endings made it easier to write songs in it, but also makes wordorder a lot trickier

• david

Well, I sure don't know what anybody around here is talking about. 

About 1/3 of the worlds population have learnt at least basic English, which makes learning to that level easier - it's just about everywhere. Advancing beyond that is where it gets more difficult as there are so many exceptions to rules, special cases, irregular spellings and non-English words which are now part of the English language.

@Big Igloo 2020 - All languages borrow from each other; English takes other languages down dark allies, beats them senseless and steals what vocabulary it can...

I didn't find it hard to learn. It only depends on people ...

It is not true.  English is as easy or difficult to learn as any other language.  Most people find that the closer a native language is to the language being learned, the easier learning is, but that is not always so.  

• ?

I have, too, because it is a mutt language of all the other languages.