How to boost/secure apartment shared WiFi?

I recently moved into a new apartment building with shared WiFi. I have a VPN so security isn’t much of a concern but the WiFi’s overall signal can be spotty. I purchased a router hoping to be able to boost the existing WiFi but just realized I have no Ethernet port in my apartment. I have a smart tv that is connected to the shared WiFi, tried to connect the router to that via Ethernet cable but internet still wouldn’t work. Have I purchased the wrong equipment? Would I need something else to boost/secure the shared WiFi?

A travel router might do the trick.  Among other things, you can put it where the signal is decent.  It can take that signal and use it to create your own network inside your apartment.  Thus, if you have two devices, they can talk to each other over the travel router.  Use a frequency the apt network doesn't use.

• Dick

I totally agree with David below.  A range extender/signal booster is what you need.  It will take the available signal and enhance it so that your current issues should all but disappear.

• David