m asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Help me find the English term for this...?

I'm looking for the name of a material they use in home construction. It's a light color paste they apply on the wall before paint. And it looks like chalk in dry form.

Update:

What about "putty"?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Joint compound is primarily used on sheetrock and plaster of paris is used to skim coat or for casting artwork. I have used a number of things on the market and the best is a low dust gypsum compound as it is easy to sand and square off if on a corner bead. Putty is for plumbing. Grampa B

• 2 months ago

It's drywall in a powder form. It's also known as 'Plaster of Paris' which is powered calcium sulfate or gypsum. 'Putty' can be from several different compounds.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Drywall mud, or joint filler for gypsum board.

Painter. 35+ years

Putty is used by the painter to fill in nail holes in wood when we still had oil paint...as it was oil putty.   Not used anymore...with waterbased paints.

• 2 months ago

joint or finishing compound 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Joint compound....................

• 2 months ago

new construction and replacement walls in America ... we use a plaster product, may go under the name "joint compound".  comes in 5 gal [19 L] buckets.  This is same as is used to cover the joint tape at the seams and corners of the wallboard.  It is applied to make the corners sharp [usually over a preformed corner bead] and the walls appear to be same thickness everywhere.  Since it is a plaster product, it is also fire resistant.  Joint compound does need to be primed before painting ... and those 'paint and primer in one' products just don't, imho, do a good job at reasonable price [stores change more for these and they cover less surface than paint.]  -- grampa

• 2 months ago

It's called 'Plaster Of Paris'.

• 2 months ago

Plaster?........

• Matt
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Plaster?        

• Petter
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Primer?          

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.