Is Aleisteir Crowley taken seriously\well-known by scholars and the general public?

Has his work been frowned upon\banned because it deals with the occult?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

I don't think anyone every took him very seriously.

He was kicked down the stairs of the HQ of the Golden Dawn by W B Yeats, when he turned up there one night, in full Highland dress, wearing a mask of Set...

I mean - how seriously could anyone take that?

• 2 months ago

He was never taken seriously by anyone.  He was a sexual pervert, a drug addict and a nut job. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I believe he summoned the Loch Ness monster.  There had been no sightings of this from the eighth century onward until he bought Boleskine House on the shore of the Loch and used it for performing Satanic rituals, sometime in the 1930's.

• 2 months ago

There is no serious scholarship there. Yeah, he could have been an eccentric who did good work and was outre for his interest in the occult. That is not what happened. He didn't really do anything but be eccentric. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Within his circle he was taken seriously although in his later years it was well known that be was deeply into drugs.

• Jon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

He is not widely known to the modern public. 

He is known about by a restricted number of scholars, mainly sociologists and contemporary historians interested in studying neo-pagan subculture. There are also those interested in the intriguing claim that all his paranormal activities were originally merely cover for spying for MI6, upon first the Carlists then the Italian fascists, but that then he went crazy and started believing in it all himself.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Aleisteir Crowley was known as a complete nutter in his day.  Have you read his biography?  He's pretty much a psychopath personified.  Many people were and continue to be fascinated by him but that's not the same thing as being taken seriously.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.