Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Can someone give me some advice or tips on how to feel less overwhelmed?

Most of the time I do just fine with things like going to work or simple house chores. However sometimes I get mildly to very overwhelmed with chores like cooking or cleaning and I pretty much freeze up because they're too much for me to handle. What can I do to feel less overwhelmed? 

You may want to learn new and better organizational skills.  Go online and Google the term "organizational skills" to learn more.

Also, do not tolerate interruptions...don't take any phone calls or walk away from what you are doing.  Cut your job up into steps and take just one step at a time and keep in mind where you are at when it comes to the steps.  Work slowly and with purpose.

DON'T PUT STRESS ON YOURSELF TO DO IT QUICKLY.

Take your time.

I’ve found breathing into paper bags to work wonders zxjq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

Hiring a maid and a cook would be a great solution if you have the money.  I suspect you don't.  I get overwhelmed as well.  One trick that works for me is to break down tasks into smaller bits.  I can move a whole mountain one stone at a time.

Make a list of small tasks- clean livingroom, put away clothes, cook dinner, do dishes, etc.  Mark off the little tasks as you do them.  It will give you a feeling of accomplishment and help you navigate through larger jobs (like clean the house).

Pray.  Read the New Testament.  Start with the Gospel of John.  Look up Philippians 4:6-8.  If you have not asked Jesus Christ into your life as Lord and Savior yet, I urge you to do so.  There are answers to life's problems in the Bible.  Also, take a walk.  Make yourself a cup of chamomile tea.  Take a couple of deep breaths.  

• try and think rationally, take your time, assess what jobs you have to do, then do them methodically.

I know the feeling. Sounds to me like you're struggling with anxiety and possibly panic attacks. Everyone who experiences anxiety experiences it differently. Sometimes I get overwhelmed too and it feels like I want to cry in frustration and I have no idea where to begin. I've just had to learn some better coping mechanisms and ways to soothe myself in those times. I have other issues as well so I have been seeing a therapist on and off for a year or so and I began taking Lexapro. I truly believe that mental health issues have to be dealt with through a combination of therapy, learning and implementing proper coping mechanisms, the sheer drive to feel better and sometimes (in my case) medication. Its good to be open-minded. 

• Sandy

hire a maid and a chef, or get takeout. I hate cleaning, but once I get started it kind of takes on a life of its own and I clean everything. it's nice having a clean home. but yeah, hire Merry Maids or something to come in 2X a week.