Why won't my homeowner's insurance pay for repairing the whole roof?

I had a windstorm rip about 100 sq ft section of asphalt shingles off of my back porch roof. The adjuster said they would only pay for the section that was actually damaged. The whole roof is only about 300 sq ft and wouldn't be that much more to replace the whole thong and maybe save the insurance company in the long run.

Update:

The roofers I had look at it said they don't do "patch" jobs. It's all or nothing, but the insurance is only going to pay what they think is reasonable for the 100 sq ft.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

They repair to at least the original condition minus deductibles. You can change insurance companies right after the claim. If it costs more, why should they do it.

If the other part degrades by non-covered damage that's your problem. If you choose to pay extra for the whole job, you pay the difference. 

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You have a lousy insurance company. Shop for something new and get a full replacement policy clause. New shingles won't match the old existing singles due to weathering and loss of the colored sand coating. As for roofers cherry picking, look for a handyman that has lost his job due to covid. 

• garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

may be the insurance is for content and not structural ..Roof comes under structural insurance ..

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Read your insurance policy.  It is your contract with the insurance company.  A porch roof is considered an ADD-ON & not part of the  main house roof.  You are insured on the main house roof, not the add on. 300 square feet is just the porch.   A house roof is going to be at least 3000 square feet.  100 square feet?  My porch is bigger than 10'x10'(=100 sq feet) more like 20x10. No it is not part of the house but an addition and it is NOT INCLUDED on the main roof.   It is almost classed as an out building.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

'maybe' in the future equals zero value to them.  They will do only the minimum required by local building code and then only after you pay your deductible.  the thing to watch out for is an assertion by insurance company that your porch roof wasn't up to code when installed and therefore they have zero obligation to replace it ... porches may be flatter than the main roof in some cases and shingles may be the wrong material [roll roofing is required here if the porch slope is less than 4 in 12 -- or metal, or torch down].  -- grampa

• 2 months ago

If you can't get matching shingles I'd appeal that decision.

• 2 months ago

They pay for REPAIR, not REPLACEMENT.

Yes, replacing THREE TIMES the damaged area would cost approximately three times the insured damage.

• GF
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Your whole roof was not damaged. Why should they pay for something that was not damaged to the point of it bring considered a total loss? It is less expensive for them to replace what was damaged. .

There is nothing wrong with the other 200sq ft of your roof. It's not a whole system. It's individual roof shingles that cover the individual roof sheathing. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

For the same reason an auto insurance company won’t pay to repaint your entire car if you only have a scratch on the fender.

• 2 months ago

Because the rest of the roof is not damaged.

Their ONLY obligation is to fix what was damaged, period, full stop.

Now, YOU can ask the roofer to replace the rest of the roof, while he's doing the more limited work that the insurance covers, but that extra cost, because it's optional, will be paid by YOU.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.