Would you use a 22 for self defense?

• Robin

The Walter pp in 22 was issued to police officers in Ireland on their days off for defence 

If that's the biggest available, yes.

Source(s): Experience with many calibers.

depending on the situation. would it be my go to? no way in hell.

however, i have thrown a taurus pt22 in a sweat pants pocket to grab some drive through services before. 

No, I'd use pepper spray. Having defended myself against many store clerks before having to evacuate the premise quickly. I'd say its effective, portable, and very cheap. I've never been charged or prosecuted for using it liberally. While I don't know, I believe, I would have to spend more time explaining shooting someone who 'didn't deserve' it.

Also, think about the post pepper spray reaction. The person is burning in the face, rolling on the ground.... its kind of a special experience. 

If that is all I had then yes I would use a .22 for self defense.

Yes, it is my favorite choice. 

If I had to, yes.

I usually carry something larger although I have carried a .22 in an ankle holster as a back-up weapon. You wouldn't want to get shot with it.

I DID long before carry was legalized. A pocket pistol very small very concealable to the point I was frisked several times through the years and a cop never found it. My Dad also left the old Colt Woodsman .22 LR with my mother as her house gun. 

Hahaha From my little pocket pistol to now that it is legal .... I ONLY carry my Colt FULL size .45 ACP.

You know ..... many tout the 9MM because of many rounds in the magazine, a .22 can hold allot also. AND not as noisy when fired. SO yes, if one chose a firearm over a knife which I would every time, no other choices, darn right I would carry what ever .22 LR I had available.

* A side note .... having fired many many rounds into mud when when I was a kid shooting little frogs, that .22 LR makes a 1" diameter hole, I imagine close to that in flesh, Thank God I don't know this for sure.

** In addition the Mossad (often referred to as "The Most Efficient Killing Machine in the World") has used the .22 with powder removed to lessen the report for executions. Works fine for them.

** if you carry a knife or brass knucks, why not stick a .22 to the head, if your gonna be that close to use a knife, same same is it not ? AND remember most slaughter houses use a .22 LR to dispatch a 1000 pound or larger Cow. I do know this, it drops them INSTANTLY DEAD.

I carry a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 for brown bears and humans. It’s fairly small but can drop you on your ***.