Drea asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

How do you respond to "Why are you so quiet?"?

My usual answer is "I'm a quiet person and I dont have anything to say at the moment. It's not that deep." 

This usually makes them get quiet and I love it. I have taken that question as an opportunity to be as blunt and honest as possible. Since they feel it's ok to make me feel like something is wrong with me being quiet. 

@Cogito I'm not saying it to make them feel embarrassed, I'm just being honest. And if that makes them feel embarrassed then too bad. It works both ways. Perhaps they should consider how that question could make someone else feel embarrassed. But they don't. There are other ways to go about finding out why someone is being quiet.

@VPR_0000  I completely understand that some people are just curious or concerned. But sometimes you can tell by the way they ask and their tone of voice if they are genuinely concerned. Sometimes people don't even ask, they just say "You're so quiet". As if me being quiet is problematic. That's when I reply with "Its not that deep."

@A X: So because I'm quiet, I'm arrogant? Since when did being quiet make someone arrogant??? I never said I didn't talk at all. I just don't talk often. It's call being an introvert.

It's a double standard for the quiet person to be polite when someone is not being polite to them. But the talkative person is allowed to say whatever they want and if the quiet person replies back in a similar manner they are looked at as being the "rude one". DOUBLE STANDARDS. 

You don't need to respond to people who don't get it or are trying to make you out to be an ***. People can be quiet! I'm a quiet person but that doesn't mean I'm a mean judgmental ***** who thinks I'm too good to talk to people.. I have social anxiety and it's rude to ask people why they're so quiet. The whole time I'm quite I'm kinda freaking out inside my head wanting to speak but not knowing what to say because I'm scared I'll sound uninteresting or sound like an idiot. It really sucks!

Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. --Elbert Hubbard

• ?

Explain to them gently that we all have our own ways of communicating.   Violence is a form of communication.

There are two kinds of silent types. Those with nothing to say and those who think actions speak louder than words and only talk when they feel there is something worth saying. 

They are trying to make you feel uncomfortable. Because they are super abusive or something and controlling and selfish and only care about themselves. Wgat can you say? Just don’t say anything if you don’t want to. It’s rude of them to think they can control you and try and make you talk if you don’t feel like it. 

that sounds okay to me

I’d explain how my mouth always causes me trouble zjqdfkv

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

I honestly can't remember the last time anyone asked me that, most of my friends are a-mile-a-minute talkers, something I find it relaxing as I'm not required to speak that much. Still, if someone were to ask me that, I'd simply say that I'm more of a listener.

• Murzy

I'd reply, "Why do you want to know?"

• ?

There is an old oriental proverb

When one does not know what to say, that is the time to be silent