Anyone know what this is on my rifle?

I noticed some discoloration on the crown of my rifle at the very end of the muzzle. It doesn’t appear to be textured at all. Just a slight brown color. I keep it well oiled and have tried using copper solvent but nothing makes it come off. It is only on one of the rifling lines. Any ideas? I have ran a boresnake through it several times with different solutions. I think the metal is permanent discolored but it doesn’t appear to be rust. Any ideas? 

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Quinn
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Chances are it is rust. Sometimes because of imperfection in the barrel, the metal where that discoloration is can be more susceptible to rusting. Micro fissures would allow rust to form below the surface and you would be able to clean it off.

I would monitor the discoloration and if it does spread, then you need to take it to a gunsmith. Or if it is under warrantee, see if the manufacturer will replace it.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It looks like ferrous oxide (aka rust)

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Guns rust so keep it oiled heavy in those spots, with slight wiping if you want to keep the gun, otherwise it becomes a pain to own, good luck

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's a birthmark. Unless it affect accuracy I would be too concerned about it. Keep it oiled, watch for it to grow, if it does you'll know it's rust.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Could you have possibly took any worse of a picture?  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.