Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

What can I use to fix my sink?

It’s draining very slow after I brush my teeth

Your toothbrush..

I keep a plunger on hand for any stoppage and it usually eliminates the problem. a few good pushes and the clog clears. Try one.

• zipper

Try Liquid Pumper or Drain-O there is either build up in the line or the air vent to the roof is partly plugged. If that is the case get on the roof and put either drain cleaner down the vent pipe then half an hour later flusf with water lots of water!  If that does not work call the pumper and tell him/her what steps you did and what you used!

Do NOT put a bunch of chemicals down your drain before you try using a hair-clog remover or plunger.  Try those FIRST. If your sink still drains slow, you probably need a drain snake--which will go further than the clog-remover.  Try that next. If it STILL drains slowly, you probably have a clog in the u-bend under the sink, OR further down the line.  For that, it's best to call a plumber.

You got some good answers. I just want to add that if the clog is beyond the wall, then the pipe needs to be snaked. 

the drano stuff  doesn't work on bobby pins and plastic caps that are stuck in the trap , taking the trap off is not that hard . the plastic ones can be done by hand .  .  an alt way is to have someone block the upper overflow drain near the top of the sink while you use a plunger on the bottom drain . the best way is to slowly press down then lift rapidly to try to suck out the clog , not push it down  . 

just pay someone to fix it

As I did recently, I recommend cleaning out the trap.  Do a search for a YouTube video for step by step instructions.  It's a level 2 out of 10 for home repair.  

.

You'll get much better results this way than pouring something down your drain (and using drano type chemicals is not good for your pipes.)

.

Unless something like tissue is stuck, a plunger won't help the gunk and hair build up.

For the bathroom sink, I recommend hot vinegar.  The plugging of bathroom facilities tends to be hair and soap, so you need an acid.  I know, hot vinegar really stinks.  I heat it in the microwave and pour it into the drain.  Let it sit a few minutes.  Then turn on a trickle of hot water and let it run for a few minutes.  Then if needed, more hot vinegar. This can take repetition, but hopefully it will do the trick in time.

Also, get one of those drain hair removers - I see them for sale very cheap, maybe in the 99cent store or other places for a little more.  It's about 2 feet long, plastic, with little points along it, and you thread it down the drain with jiggles and turns as far as you can, then pull it up, and there will be hair stuck to the points.  Any hair you pull up, you don't have to dissolve and flush down.

In the kitchen sink, I use boiling water with baking soda dissolved in it.  Sink drains are usually plugged with food and fat, and baking soda works better.  

If these don't do the job, you will need to get Draino, Liquid Plumber, or something like that. They are stronger.  Leave them in the drain longer than the directions say - at least half an hour, maybe overnight.  

Its clogged u dummy.....try boiling water