Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Why is Green Giant so popular?

I live in South Carolina and anytime you ask about canned veggies or anything like canned corn, everybody immediately says “Green Giant is the way to go”. 

Me personally I think their canned stuff and their pizza is horrible. Their Cauliflower Veggie Hash Browns are decent but most of their stuff is bad.

• kswck2

Green Giant is a massive food production company, owned by B&G Foods. They sell canned and frozen products. Their products are more expensive than say store brands,  despite the probability that the store brand is Also canned at the Green Giant facility. Store brands contract with companies like Green Giant for canned vegetables, fruits, etc. They ARE cheaper, but the quality is about the same (I say 'about' as Green Giant gets first pick of the item, and the rest are used for the store brands). 

The main difference in the two products however, is that YOU are paying for the brand name-it's advertising mainly. 

• 42

If i had a local business in my province like that i would support it.

Idk. I hate canned veggies no matter what brand they are, with the exception of canned tomatoes. I'm not brand picky though

• ?

Many people buy the brands they ate as children and Green Giant has been around a very long time.

It's widely respected and has a good marketing plan.

Green Giant is primarily a frozen foods company. I've not encountered it, but it could that Green Giant has become the generic term for frozen veggies just a coke became a synonym for flavored carbonated soft drinks and Clorox is now shorthand for chlorine bleach.

• Janet

The spent more money on advertising that other companies did.