? asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

How to become vegan?

Hello,

I have been an omnivore thus far but would like to convert to being vegan for the health benefits. The one thing that I do not want, is to become malnurished and become sick (ie. B12 deficiency, etc.). How to go vegan? What foods to eat or avoid? I am brand new to this.

Thank you for your help

Maybe will always be an omnivore.

I think you will always be an omnivore.

• Sarah

When I was set up with my husband and my friend told me he was vegan, I thought "Oh great, he's probably going to be some pretentious, preachy, know it all whose going to give me the stink eye when I order meat." I had a really slanted view of what it meant to be vegan because the only vegans I had ever encountered where exactly that. Of course when I met my husband I quickly realized he was nothing like that. He never judged me for eating meat and his being vegan never really came up except when we went out to eat, and even then he never made it into a big deal. Eventually I became vegan too (for ethical reasons) and have been vegan for over 12 years now.

Here are some Do's and Don'ts for newbie vegans, so they aren't looked at as social pariahs.

Do's

Make delicious tasting food to show meat eaters how good vegan food can be.

Answer questions about your vegan lifestyle, but only when asked about it.

Be willing to make compromises in social situations. I can't tell you how many times I've had cheese-less pizza, spaghetti or even french fries for dinner.

Make your own choices when it comes to food. Some people are very outspoken about certain vegan diets ie. raw, gluten-free, processed vs. non processed etc. You have to choose what works for you and your lifestyle. I personally eat a lot of fake meat products because I enjoy the convenience and taste of them, and I don't apologize for that.

Ask your favorite restaurants to include vegan choices. Make sure to be polite and understanding rather than demanding.

Don'ts

Don't become vegan because it's the cool or trendy thing to do. Do it because you'll save animals, or for your health or the environment, but you'll never stick with it if you're doing it just because it's the In thing to do.

Don't be a preachy vegan. Answer people's questions about veganism but don't preach or push veganism on anyone. Preaching to people won't convince them to not eat meat, it just pisses them off and makes you look like an asshole.

Don't judge meat eaters. Being vegan is a personal choice as is eating meat.

Don't ask for your food to be cooked on a different grill. The goal of most vegans is to reduce animal suffering and cooking your veggie burger on a different grill isn't going to do that. It just makes restaurants less likely to put vegan items on the menu or worse, the waiter decides to put something nasty in your food.

Don't make a stink at the dinner table if your family is eating meat. Having a temper tantrum will only make your family less likely to support your choices and won't do anything to convince them to give your diet a try.

Understand that there is no such thing as a purist when it comes to veganism. Everything from synthetic fibers to plastic to cars has the potential of containing some animal product or by-product. The point is to do the best you can because even the most dedicated vegans can't truly claim to be 100% vegan.

Source(s): 1 Month Vegan Challenge... https://www.reddit.com/r/TheVeganKitchen/

It is very difficult to adhere to a vegan lifestyle.The difficulty comes in two parts, one being availability of food that qualifies as vegan whether it be shopping or a restaurant and the difficulty in achieving a balance diet with limited foods available.

Source(s): A vegan diet
  • kswck2

There are no Classes to take to Become a vegan. It is just something you decide upon by yourself. 

I'm afraid that you will remain an “omnivore” regardless of what diet you follow.

To follow a vegan diet you need to exclude all animal products. 

You need to follow a balanced nutritious diet which isn't just a matter of eating or not eating certain foods. You need to research this properly and perhaps seek professional advice.

Forgive me but it seems ironic that you mistakenly imply that a vegan diet has health benefits and then ask strangers who you know nothing about to help you avoid being unhealthy because you are following a vegan diet!

• ?

There are no health benefits by being vegan. None. Nada. Veganism is built on lies.

Are you becoming a vegan (No leather, no zoo visits, no pets, etc) or just eating a vegan diet? There is a difference.

If you insist on giving up meat, dairy, eggs and all foods that contain them you will need to take supplements.

I suggest that you spend time on the veganhealth.org website. It is managed by a vegan registered nutritionist. theveganrd.com is another website that might be helpful. She has several books that might help, too.

Good luck.

Don't eat any meat or dairy. If you're going to be vegan, I would recommend just being vegetarian for a while at first. Then you can ease into being vegan

Can you live without dairy(i.e. cheese, milk, ice cream, etc.?)  If the answer is 'NO' then you cannot become a vegan, maybe a vegetarian though.

you are dumb. being vegan is not about "health benefits", it's about refusing to eat animal products because no animal wants to live in a tiny cage its entire life and then die a painful death just so you can eat it. it's immoral to eat factory farm raised animals and it's immoral to give money to companies who subject animals to extreme cruelty and abuse. go watch a video of what happens in a slaughterhouse. pigs are just as intelligent as dogs are. go kill and eat your dog. killing and eating a pig is just as immoral as killing and eating a dog.

that's the real reason to become vegan, to reduce animal suffering. screw your "health benefits". you're thinking about yourself too much.

that being said, there are these things called vitamins. and supplements. you can just take vitamins and supplements and you'll be fine. 

Source(s): i just walked 10ft to see if my One-A-Day vitamin has B12 in it and it does. 260% of daily value of B12 is in a regular multivitamin. Immoral retards look for any reason to continue eating meat "HURRR B12 DEFICIENCY". just eat a vitamin every day. it's not that hard.