drake asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

How many of you guys read books often?

I consider myself fairly intelligent. I can handle infinitesimal calculus. Yet I haven’t read much books since elementary school. What about you, how often do you read? And what is your highest math class you’ve taken?

I do a lot of reading, myself - but that's partly because I commute via public transit.  I get a lot of reading done on light rail.  Also on my lunch breaks.  I'm currently reading the WPA interviews of people who had been slaves before the Civil War.

The only math class I took in college was statistics.  In high school I took a class that I think was sort of a proto-calculus or beginning calculus course; I forget the name.

I read some in non-technical books almost every day. The highest math is a bit vague. I've had tensors, partial diff eqs, Modern algebra, and of course quantum mechanics which isn't strictly a math class, but it calls for a lot of math. Good luck to Andrew Smith on his eye operation.

I read books often it takes up most of my time

I do read books often

Intelligence and reading don't go together. Some people really like to read, some don't. It doesn't matter how smart they are or how good they are in math. 

I don’t read physical books as much as I used to because I find plenty of material online.  I also enjoy learning from lectures and seminars, followed by detailed research if I’m interested enough.  One thing I’ve never really done is read for pure fun.  I considered it a waste of time.

As far as mathematics?  I developed a real love for math.  I’ve run through all the Calculus courses, including Infinitesimal Calculus (or Calculus 3), differential equations and discrete mathematics.  Some statistics courses.  I graduated before I got the chance to take Engineering math, which I believe was another step beyond.

I’m certainly rusty, but love of learning remains.

I read a lot.  A very lot.  Highest formal math course was Differential Equations.  Very useful for theoretical chemistry, after all, and I am a geochemist.  I do read a lot of what people would call garbage, though, I suppose.  Mindless fiction for entertainment purposes only.  I save the denser reads for when I need the info in it.

• xg6

I read constantly.  It usually takes me about 2 weeks to read a book (limited time per day during the day to read).  My highest math course would have been algebra in high school (aced it), unless you think accounting is a kind of math then that would have been when I attended community college

• BJJ

I read a very good book about Anti-Gravity  , it was so good i couldn't put it down. 

"Yet I haven't read much books since elementary school."

That's self-evident, dear. Had you, maybe you'd have picked up in your reading that "much" doesn't mean "many." You might also have learned through observation not to employ comma splices.

"How many of you guys read books often?"

I have no idea because I don't know the rest of us guys here or even just how many of us there are. I only know me.

"What about you, [sic]"

Well, maybe I've read "much" books. I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean, not because you used "much" instead of "many" but because I don't know how many constitutes "many." It's entirely subjective and relative.

"How often do you read?"

Daily.

"And what is your highest math class you've taken?"

MATH 648 - Advanced Quantitative Analysis