Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Girls: Can you help me, please?

My girlfriend and I are both 22 and we have been dating for 2 years. She recently asked for a break to “figure herself out” because she is really stressed with family issues and she is also a teacher during COVID. I don’t understand why we can’t work it out together, but she just says she needs a break. I told her to just contact me when she is ready so I wouldn’t bother her and she texted back and told me I could text her or call her anytime I wanted and that I wouldn’t bother her at all because she loves me dearly. I ended up texting her yesterday telling her I was thinking about her and she was really friendly and even used the heart and winky face emojis in her texts. She finally sent me she text saying, “Thank you for texting me that cute dog picture today 💗 I really enjoyed that. Please know that even on a break, I still love you unconditionally. That is something that will not change.” 

Do you think this break means we are close to being over? She still wants a break, but is being really nice and I don’t understand. 

My feeling is she is testing out other relationships, but she doesn't want to lose you while she does so.  Sad, but that's how I see things.

• ?

It would seem the problem here is that you started dating when you were both at a pivotal developmental age and have spent the past two years with each other instead of out experiencing that singlehood people need in their early 20's to be able to make an informed decision about a life partner later. But two years is also the point in a relationship when couples that are old enough (25+) are making plans to get married. You two clearly can't do that yet if you want the marriage to have a shot of success. So her pulling away at this point could be what saves the relationship later on. If you've for the most part only ever known adult life as a couple this time apart could be the reset you both need so that when you get back together you can be more serious about it.