?
? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Is true that  the first sentence sounds rude and inappropriate for you making use for greetings?

What were you doing lately?

What have you been doing lately? 

It is mostly a grammatical mistake (the time frame of continuous past is not quite correct when lately has a definite end at NOW). But the implication is that you have been doing something, and recently, that you are trying to hide from us, and that you should not have been doing.  So, not quite rude so much as showing suspicion.

We would not usually say "I was running lately", but would say instead "I have been running lately".

If a person asks "were you " doing something "lately", it is basically saying "I see something about you that tells me that you were doing this thing, and pretty recently".  When you use "what" to start, to say "what were you doing?", it is an investigation of sorts, rather than an open-ended request for whatever you want to offer to me (what have you been doing lately).

But even "what have you been doing" can be an inquisition if said in an accusatory tone.  tone matter a lot, for a lot of things.

"for you making use for greetings?" --- This makes no sense.

The first sentence is not correct grammar, so it is incorrect. The second sentence is the correct one, and that one sounds fine. Nothing rude about it.

The first one sounds like a police interrogation, not friendly at all. The second one's fine. In everyday speech, you'd more often hear, "What've you been up to?" (but if a cop said that, it would also sound like an interrogation.)

• Kenny

In a greeting the first words out of your mouth would be to recognize the person and  then an interest in them .  Hi Joan, what have you been doing ? Just my opinion .

• ?

The first is preterite.  It refers to completed actions in the past.  If it's completed, it's none of your business (unless you're a cop)

The second is perfect.  It refers to actions in the past which have a bearing on what happens in the present.  Since you are having a conversation in the present, it is your business.

• ?

It just sounds off. Very informal but not rude