Job for 16 year old?

What jobs pay well at 16? I live in VA so minimum wage is $7.25. I’m currently working at Sonic in drive-thru getting payed $8.50 with 25-30 hours a week. Any suggestions on places where I could make more?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That's actually pretty decent for a teen. Most employers only pay $7.25/hr to young teens. I'd stick with it for now.

• 2 months ago

As you're already making over minimum wage, you're probably not going to find a job at 16 where you'll be making more. I'd recommend staying there and gaining more experience which will give you a better opportunity in the future. Best of luck.

• 2 months ago

Become a chimney sweep.

Attachment image
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

At 16, you're not going to make more unless you have above average skills to bring to the job. There are a lot of jobs you can't do at 16 due to labor laws. Physical labor will sometimes pay more, but you will have restrictions on the kinds of machinery you can use and the hours you can work.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

payed is actually spelled PAID and any job for a 16 year old is a good job. Surprised sonic pays more than minimum.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Get a bike and get a paper-round. Ain't that what sixteen-year-olds do? 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not for a 16 year old. $8.50/hr is pretty good for someone your age. You need marketable skills and work experience to earn more.

• 2 months ago

What skills do you have  that warrant more than minimum wage?  If any, pursue those type jobs.  When you gain a marketable skill you’ll earn more money.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.