Anonymous

Are any of y'all lucky enough to now do your former hobbies as a living, and if so, then how did you go about making that transition?

I'd be curious to know, please. 

I wish someone would pay me for playing disc golf as a bad but now skinny amatuer. Damn hobby cost me 1/3 of my body weight. I'd like about 5% of that back.

What was a hobby grew into a regular side job, so when the place I worked went bankrupt I fell back on doing my hobby as a business. 

• Alex

Look at it from the point of view of what people are already willing to spend money on.  If your hobby is painting landscapes, how many people go out shopping for original landscape paintings?  And if they do buy one, will they buy a second, or a third?  Probably not.  Conversely, if your hobby is making craft beer, how many people are going out shopping for craft beer?  And if they do buy one (and like it), will they come back for a second or a third?  Probably yes.

So you have to provide something that people need, or something that people like enough to be willing to pay you for on a repeat basis.  If you figure that out, then it just becomes work of writing a business plan, coming up with a sales strategy, figuring out all the logistics of how you are going to make the best quality product you can for as cheaply as you can, then price it at or below your nearest competitor.

That is not lucky.  That is how you ruin a perfectly enjoyable hobby.