Is IELTS required to come to US?

If I marry a girl from outside US, bring her to US, does she need IELTS to work here? 

I am a citizen. Girl is in India. She is a nurse. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

IELTS is British English, not American. TOEFL, the test for American English, is required to apply for admission to most schools in US for those educated in non-English speaking countries. But your Indian gf is not going to work as a nurse in US unless she can pass NCLEX exams. Of course, she will need to be fluent in English at a high academic-technical level of proficiency to sit those exams, and to apply for any jobs if she eventually gets a green card & nursing license in the US.

BTW, vast numbers of foreign-trained nurses cannot even pass exams for Certified Nurse's Aide & end up working as non-certified aides at minimum wage, if they can find any work at all.

• 2 months ago

Not for the fiancée or spouse visa.  She will have to pass a language test in order to become a citizen.  

Note that institutions such as schools and employers in the USA that require an independent language test use the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and not the IELTS.   

• 2 months ago

No. She does not have to pass a test of English to come in on a K1 fiancee visa or a spousal visa. If she wants to work as a nurse, she will have to pass the licensing exam in your state. There is a huge shortage of nurses right now- she might even be able to get a visa through one of the traveling nurse programs. It really depends on her educational background. I know one nurse from Lebanon who married an American, but had to go back to school to get a nursing degree before she could get a job. I also know of hospitals that have brought in nurses from other countries because of the scarcity here. So she really needs to look into the agencies that recruit nurses and what they require.

The IELTS is only required by universities. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.