Trying to combine computer setups (one w docking station, the other traditional PC setup)?

Hello,

I have a work computer setup in my basement that uses my work laptop and our issued docking station that is hooked up via an HDMI and VGA (I think) cable.

Then, I have my personal computer setup with a PC and another two monitors with the same connection type.

I was wondering if there was a way to merge the two setups. Ideally, I would want to keep the laptop hooked up into the docking station where then it's connected to the monitors. But then also (whenever I'm not working), I would like to turn on my PC and use the same monitors. However, I can't think of a way to do this without having to unhook cables constantly. I *think* this would require some more of splitter or switch that feeds from the monitors and then is split, with one going to the PC and the other going to the docking station.

I know this is a lot but I'd really like to work at one location instead of two. Let me know if I need to add any more clarifying details.

I'd like to obviously save as much money as possible. Again, I'd imagine this would require some sort of splitter/switch and maybe another cord.

Much appreciated!

• ?

First, check your monitor.  Some have multiple inputs, like DVI/HDMI/VGA that can be switched with by changing the monitor mode.

Switchers are like $20, but you generally have to have the same input/output.  Most laptops are now hdmi but most desktops are vga/dvi.  You might have to get some vga to dvi or other converters.