Texas landlord, breaking my lease after sexual assault help needed. ?

I was sexually assaulted after a night with friends. I am being threatened and harassed by the people responsible. I don’t know them personally, someone I had just met while hanging out. I told my landlord I needed to move and break my lease and they told me I must pay early termination fees, and rent for 2 months. Can anyone help me with my rights in Texas ? 

Kiss, I hope you filed a report with the local police and that they're working on it. Unfortunately, there's nothing to be done with your lease as once you signed it, it's a valid contract, fully enforceable. 

Kiss, you must pay early termination fees and rent for 2 months, sorry.

Sure - your assault is unconnected to your lease, and the lease requirements (including costs associated with terminating early) still stand.

If you want to leave your current place, you'll need to pay to do so. 

Did you file a police report, etc?  With no proof of the assault, you have no right to get out of lease.

• Judy

Your rights are to break your lease by paying the  fees and rent.  I am assuming it was not your ll who assaulted you.

• R P

Unless your landlord is the perpertrator, he is not responsible for crime in the area.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but if you want to break your lease without any further repercussions, you'll have to pay the fees and rent as outlined in your lease.

• ?

even with a police report, that is not grounds to break the lease without penalty.  if your lease requires 2 months notice, you can be required to pay for the notice period as well as a lease break fee.  even if your leas only requires 1 month, since it is Dec 2, you have to pay for Dec and Jan.

no law allows you to break the lease because of that without penalty since this is not a domestic violence situation or even another tenant of the building.

look for your area crime victims advocacy group to see if they can help you move.  but realize, there is a good chance they will find you  at your new home.

I think RAINN is the sexual assault hotline, they may have resources to help you....possibly funding to break your lease and help hiding from the people.

Your rights are exactly what the landlord told you.

No one can force you to live there, but if you leave early you will owe the fees/penalties as stated in your lease.

You don't get to stiff your landlord because you are the victim of a crime.   Law enforcement is who you go to about that. 

• Maxi

You signed a legal contract with your landlord, you want to leave so that is a breach of your contract and your landlord has told you what it will cost you to leave.... it is not the landlord fault or responsibility for what happened to you...your option is/was to report the assault to the police, they investigate and question the person/s and take the matter to court/or not...... however breaching your contract and the assault are not connected at all

If you break the lease you owe the penalties.

If you are being threatened, call the police.