I haven't washed my bedsheets in a year?

Okay so, I know that's gross. I took my bedsheet (just the duvet cover) to Uni in January and when I got back in March assumed I had washed it and put it away like normal. However, upon returning to Uni in October, when I was packing I realised that I had actually left the cover on the duvet still and just slung it to the back of the airing cupboard. As I didn't have enough time to wash it I put it in a bag and left it under my bed at Uni. I then forgot about it AGAIN and I am leaving to go home in less than 2 days. I want to wash it but will a regular wash be good enough?

Just run it through a wash with plenty of oxi bleach and don't be so manky next time! Use 60C if it makes you feel better about it.  The very worst that can have happened is moths who were attracted by the scent of sweat, but once it's washed it's washed.  (True story, I once had a sweaty fleece languishing in the bottom of the clothes hamper that got attacked by moths despite being 100% synthetic - lesson learned!)

• Deane

I would wash it in a load with hot water and add the detergent and color safe bleach (I use half a cap) and I would also add some washing soda to the load to help absorb any odors.

I would put it on heavy duty but regular would be fine!

• drip

Unless there is mold on it, a regular wash will be fine.  

I would rather buy new bedsheets to reduce the chances of having bedbugs.

You should burn it.