Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How do you get past a fear of germs?

When I was a freshman in high school (roughly 17 years ago) I had a very severe issue with bullies. There was one morning when right after I got to school, I went into the bathroom and found a group of boys waiting for me. When I walked in, they splashed me with water out of an “unclean” toilet, causing me- as well as most of the property I had with me (backpack, etc) to get wet. I was fortunate enough to have a change of clothes with me, but being at school there wasn’t much I could do to actually clean myself up. I believe that day caused me to develop an issue with mysophobia that still affects me today. Even I feel like I worry about it too much, especially considering how long ago it was. But it still bothers me a lot; I feel like I need to constantly wash my hands; every time I interact with anyone that went to the school where it happened, I feel like they could be carrying germs from that day; I’m scared to go anywhere where kids from the school regularly gather; among many other things... can anyone give me any tips for getting over this?

You've had this problem for seventeen years?  See a therapist.

the average human has 100 trillion bacteria and virus in and on them . about 10 pounds of your weight is the essential symbiotic bacteria in your gut .