is it ok to leave your computer on over night?

i have a windows 7 desktop computer, i usually shut it down at night before i go to bed, at around midnight, then start it up again the next day around midday or 11:30am....but i thought could i leave it on overnight, so i could put my audiobook- stored on my computer- on-  and i could hear it from my bedroom as i sleep, because i only live in a small apartment..

or would leaving the computer on overnight be a bad idea, could it cause harm to the computer? or would i be okay doing it?

I have my system set up so that it does things after I'm headed for bed.  For instance, I have it running anti-virus scans:  quick scans Monday-Saturday and full scan Sunday.  I have it doing a defragmentation check of my HDD every Saturday.  So I leave my system on and doing housekeeping.

most computers can keep going for 24 hours a day, only requiring a reboot every so often (after all, most servers keep going for years!) but the fan might get annoying, it's better to get a MP3 player (you can get a brand name for 30-60$) or if you have a smart phone, store it on there.

I switch if off at night, there is no harm, but at least it gets rebooted and any updates get notified and away you go. 

My computer is "on" 24/7. If I need to refresh it for whatever reason, I do a resart, then everything is a-ok. There's no harm in leaving it on 24/7. IF you think a storm is about to happen & you become concerned about a power surge, then turn the computer "Off". 

Other than what I've just mentioned, my computer is shut "off" when I go on holiday. Once I get back, I turn it on, then do a search for windows updates. It's possible to have missed some while away & the computer was 'off'. 

It won't hurt the computer, but it might hurt your wallet.  Even asleep after being idle for a while it will still be drawing power, and depending on electric rates in your area, can cost you when your electric bill comes.  So I wouldn't make a habit of it, but for long downloads, or other tasks, it's no big deal to let it run overnight. But otherwise, shut it down when you are done for the day. Older systems especially, as they draw more power than newer, more efficient ones do.

always shut it down. 

Hard drive will go to sleep mode after like 3 hours of being unused. I believe you psychological comfort is more important than longevity of the computer. Computers are not crazy expensive.  

Do you want to explode?

Most computers need to be rebooted once a day -- it's a 'feature' in their date/time system.  However, leaving it on overnight will not otherwise harm it.

My sister works for a large manufacturer. She told me to leave my computer on 24 hrs. a day. As I recall, she said it helps keep the bad stuff out.