Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareMonitors · 2 months ago

No signal to monitor from my first PC build?

I'm building my first PC. I can't get any signal to my monitor. My GPU is on, but the fans aren't on. When I try to plug it into the motherboard, no signal. Not sure what to do. All the parts turn on fine, fans run good, just can't get a picture. 

What are your parts? That’s the real question

That could literally be anything.  We need more specific information.  Is your GPU working?  Is the power indicator light on the GPU lit?  What kind of connection are you using (HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, etc)?

On many modern GPUs the fan won't always be on unless the card reaches a certain temperature so the fact that the fans aren't running doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

"When I try to plug it into the motherboard, no signal."

Are you saying there's no signal from the motherboard to GPU?  Do you get any VGA error messages or beep codes from the BIOS while posting?

Check your BIOS settings. Maybe a setting needs to be changed there to get the system to see the GPU.  Since this is a new build you probably don't have this problem but especially if you were using a different GPU before you may have to reset BIOS settings and install a new driver.  I've had problems with UEFI mode and legacy mode before. Older hardware doesn't support UEFI. If it's in UEFI mode try switching to legacy mode with compatibility support module.  If it's in legacy mode try switching to UEFI.

Check your monitor settings.  Usually there's an onscreen menu where you can adjust settings directly on the monitor.  Even if it's plugged in but has no connection to the computer you can usually access this menu.  Make sure you're on the right input if your monitor has more than one input.  (i.e. if you're using an HDMI cable make sure your monitor is on the HDMI input)

Not to insult your intelligence but check the most obvious things first.  Are the monitors plugged into a power source?  Is the GPU plugged into a power source?  Are the monitors plugged into the GPU not the motherboard?  Have you tried turning the monitor off and turning it on again?  I don't know why but sometimes that actually works. It tells you it's not getting a signal with a blank screen but turning it off and back on again gives it a little kick in the pants.

plug the HDMI cable directly into the GPU, not mobo

• Norm F

This is either the GPU at fault, or Monitor/Cable but unlikely, or that BIOS is not fully running.

The most likely is BIOS not running.

The most likely of BIOS not running is RAM, then Motherboard or CPU.

• David

Enter the build into pcparticker to check compatibility, then update your post

https://pcpartpicker.com/

What everyone is suggesting is a bit of testing. 

First, did you check to be sure that the standard OnBoard GPU works? If so, move on.  If not, find out why.  You say 'all parts work good' but do you get a post beep? 

2) did you plug the monitor into the MB GPU connector or the Add-On GPU connector?   Should be in the Add-On.  This is simple, but must be asked. 3)  did you connect all connectors needed for the Add-On, and in point, the power connector.  Just using the slot on the MB does not count.  There is usually a power connector on the Add-On Board.  4) Did you check the bios for the setting to disable On  board GPU? It should be disabled, though most MB will automatically disable and use an Add-On GPU when it is connected.  

• Dick

Take the GPU out of the picture (no pun intended) so to speak.  You should have decent video from the MoBo and/or CPU.  If you have good video without that GPU in the circuit the GPU is the problem.

Most cards require a separate power connector to run.  Make sure it's connected.

Disable onboard graphics if MOBO is so equipped. 

• Bill-M

Did you connect the POWER cable from the power supply to the GPU.

Plug it into the gpu silly