My school computer lost all its data, is there anything I can do?

This morning I logged onto my school's loaner laptop to finish a project, and everything worked fine. I closed it as per usual when I was done, and then a few hours later I went back to work on another project. When I opened the computer it was logged out of me, and when I signed in it closed the open programs and restarted. When the restart finished, it seemed like it was reset to the county default, with all of the files I had saved to the computer gone. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as something I can do while I wait for any response from the county (as it is a weekend over winter break, they may not be checking their email very often)? The good part is I have most of my work turned in, except one project that is essentially the entirety of one class and has been in progress for months (we had checkpoints but didn't have to turn them in, so I don't have any backups of them) which I pretty desperately need to get back. Any advice at all would be incredibly helpful!

Edit: unfortunately it is not a chromebook, it is a Dell Latitude 3190.

Another edit: if it were just not saved properly then Excel and Word would have autosave backups available, I've had to use them before, but the file explorer is literally empty in documents and downloads, i tried going through the users and windows.old, and Excel was something I had to download onto the computer anyway so it's gone with all the rest of my downloads too.

• i + i

Unfortunately not uncommon problem 

nowadays, when Microsoft Windows 

decides to force an update. It would 

be best to wait for county to get back 

to you about what to do, but if you are 

daring and want to take a chance, here 

are some steps to try: 

1. Open Settings.  

2. Click on Update & Security.  

3. Click on Backup.  

4. Click the More options link.  

5. Click the Restore files from a current backup link.  

6. Select the files you want to restore.  

7. Click the Restore button.  

This can include storing files on an external hard drive, a memory card, or burn a copy on optical media like DVD-RW. The chances of your data ...

You can't do anything ask for help from the school.

Oh no!  I guess all your furry fandom porn is gone now.

On the off chance that you lost a PC or PC, follow your means to attempt to recollect where it might have been put. On the off chance that you think it was lost at a retail location or school, check with the staff to check whether it's in lost and found.

In the wake of following your means, on the off chance that you can't discover your PC, you can take a stab at reaching the specialists and revealing your PC as lost. It very well may be a since quite a while ago shot, however your PC may get turned in by somebody that discovers it.

• keerok

Turn it off and report it to your school at once. Tell them all about it, especially your lost files. You will have to bring the computer back to the school and get a replacement. Meanwhile, try asking for leniency about your projects. You don't have a backup. That's your fault. You should always backup.

You have to reach out to your school for help. Your files may still be there and recoverable as long as you don't save anything and overwrite them

• Scott

Is this a chrome book? They’re usually set to automatically back up to Google drive. Microsoft products like PowerPoint and word automatically save documents.